Gum Calgary SE
Gums, also known as gingiva, play a crucial role in your oral health by surrounding the necks of teeth and covering the alveolar parts of the jaws. They are an integral part of your oral anatomy and provide support and protection to your teeth and the underlying bone.
While gums are often overlooked, maintaining their health is essential for overall oral well-being. Healthy gums are typically pink, firm, and do not bleed when you brush or floss. However, gum issues can arise, leading to conditions like gingivitis and periodontitis.
Common Gum Issues:
- Gingivitis: Gingivitis is the earliest stage of gum disease, primarily caused by the accumulation of plaque on teeth. Common signs include swollen and bleeding gums.
- Periodontitis: Untreated gingivitis can progress to periodontitis, which involves more severe gum and bone damage. It may result in tooth mobility and even tooth loss.
- Gum Recession: Gum recession occurs when the gum tissue pulls away from the teeth, exposing the tooth's root. It can lead to sensitivity and an increased risk of decay.
- Gum Infections: Infections in the gums can cause discomfort, pain, and pus formation. These infections may require prompt treatment.
Maintaining Gum Health:
To keep your gums healthy, it's essential to:
- Practice good oral hygiene by brushing and flossing daily.
- Use an antiseptic mouthwash as recommended by your dentist.
- Attend regular dental check-ups and cleanings to detect and address gum issues early.
- Quit smoking and avoid tobacco products, which can contribute to gum problems.
- Monitor your gums for any changes in color, texture, or bleeding.
Visit Copperfield Dental Center for Gum Health Evaluation
If you experience any gum-related concerns or notice changes in your gum health, don't hesitate to reach out to our experienced dental team. Call Copperfield Dental Center at 403.726.1226 to book an appointment with Dr. Kamal Virk-Uppal. We are conveniently located at #202 – 15566 McIvor Blvd. SE in Calgary SE, AB, and we are dedicated to helping you maintain healthy gums and a beautiful smile.